Claim Answers: Can I receive injury compensation following an accident with a foreign car?

Injury compensation following an accident with a foreign car
Eoin P. Campbell
Eoin P. Campbell, LL.B., Solicitor
Editor in Chief


My car was hit by a foreign-registered car and three people in my car were injured and taken to hospital. The accident was clearly the fault of the foreign driver of the other car. We called gardai to the scene and there is a going to be a accident report. What are the chances of the injured people receiving compensation for their injuries?


The good news is that there is legal and financial protection for Irish drivers who have accidents on Irish roads with foreign cars through the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (the MIBI), an organisation set up between the Irish government and the Irish motor insurance companies.

The primary role of the MIBI is to provide compensation to victims of accidents caused by uninsured or unidentified/untraced drivers. The MIBI also operates what is referred to as the “Green Card System” that ensures that Irish drivers and their passengers are compensated for accidents with foreign-registered vehicles.

The system is somewhat complicated, with the MIBI operating the Motor Insurance Information Centre of Ireland to exchange information with other EU countires regarding insurance policies. The MIBI acts as the “claims representative” for foreign insurers in Ireland.

The actual process is somewhat complicated for injury compensation claims that are the result of accidents with foreign cars. You need to contact your solicitor as soon as possible to start the claims process.

Copyright © 2009-2019 Eoin Campbell