Chest Injury Compensation

How can I claim chest injury compensation if the driver responsible for the car crash where I was hurt drove away before I could even see his car registration?

Eoin P. Campbell, LL.B., Solicitor

Editor in Chief

Eoin P. Campbell

Being involved in a car crash in which you sustained an injury is bad enough, but the situation is all the more distressing when the driver is unknown, making the possibility of claiming chest injury compensation seem like an incredibly daunting task. In this scenario you would be highly advised to contact a solicitor at the first opportunity possible who will be able to handle all of the necessary procedures and make the claim on your behalf.

Should the Gardai have attended the scene of the accident, your solicitor would be able to simply request and pay a small fee for the details and a copy of the Gardai accident report to use in evidence for your chest injury compensation claim. If the accident was deemed minor, and the Gardai did not attend the scene, it might still be possible to obtain the negligent driver’s registration number by accessing CCTV footage. Additionally, your solicitor could collect details of any relevant witnesses who could further support your claim.

There is the possibility that the negligent driver may later be found to have been uninsured at the time of the accident. In this instance, your solicitor could submit the case to the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland, an entity which exists to protect victims of road traffic accidents when the responsible party cannot be traced or is uninsured. The MIBI can act as the “insurer” of the relevant negligent party and therefore will be able to make a compensation payment to the victim – if the victim’s claim is successful.

It is worth noting that in order to claim chest injury compensation, you must have a viable case and you should have carried out some standard procedures to ensure that you receive the maximum amount that you are eligible for. Your health should have been your first priority and you should have been examined by a medical practitioner immediately after the accident where your injuries would have been recorded in your medical history.

Most solicitors offer an initial consultation without charge where they can assess your claim for chest injury compensation case and determine its feasibility. If you feel that you have a viable case against an unknown driver but are unsure of how to proceed, you would be well advised to consult with a solicitor at the first practical moment.