Compensation for Allergic Reaction to Spa Treatment

Even though I regularly attend the same spa I recently suffered a bad rash on my arms and legs after a new skin conditioning treatment and now would like to know about compensation for an allergic reaction to a spa treatment. Do I have a viable claim?

Eoin P. Campbell, LL.B., Solicitor

Editor in Chief

Eoin P. Campbell

You may be eligible to claim compensation for an allergic reaction to a spa treatment if it can be proven that the spa technician who treated you acted negligently in some way. Despite the fact that you are a regular attendee at the spa and the technician may be accustomed to your preferences, allergic reactions can occur impulsively and a “patch test” should be conducted before any new treatment is given, especially if the product is known to potentially be a health hazard.

The spa are obliged to ask you if you suffer from any known allergies before administering any treatment and if they neglect to perform this necessary step you should be entitled to claim for allergic reaction to a spa treatment compensation.

There are some recommended steps to take when you are considering pursuing a compensation for allergic reaction to a spa treatment claim. The first is to take two photographs of the rash on the affected areas; one close shot to demonstrate its severity and another from further away to show how visible it is. It is important to visit your GP to have your injury recorded in your medical history and to have a medical allergy test to determine which allergen(s) caused the rash to develop on your arms and legs. It is also recommended that your injury is recorded in the spa’s “Accident Report Book” which could later be used as evidence in support of your claim.

You would be well advised to engage with a solicitor’s services in order to assist with your claim for compensation for an allergic reaction to a spa treatment. Most solicitors offer a free initial consultation where the individual circumstances surrounding your case can be discussed and your questions can be answered. Your solicitor can assess your case and advise you on whether or not you have a claim worth pursuing.