Woman Who Fell in Marks & Spencer Settles Personal Injury Compensation Claim

A woman has settled her personal injury claim got a fall in Marks and Spencer after she slipped on an alleged grease like substance in the food hall at the Dublin city centre-based shop.

Ms. Flynn, bride to be who was bridesmaid dress shopping with one of the friends when the accident occurred, claimed in the High Court that she fell to the ground when she was walking through the food hall at the Marks and Spencers branch on Mary Street on February 6, 2016.

Ms Flynn, aged 49, said that the incident resulted in her was crying and greatly embarrassed and as she could not get up from the ground. When they could not find a member of staff to assist her another customer in the shop came to her aid.

Additionally, it is claimed that, as a consequence of the fall, her wrist and hip were sore and she still experiences challenges in completing domestic activities including hoovering and ironing and she could not blow dry her hair.

She has claimed there was a failure to take any reasonable steps or precautions for her safety and an alleged failure to provide and maintain a safe and adequate system of cleaning of the premises. Along with this the retail group has also denied that there was contributory negligence on the part of Ms Flynn who it was argued did not keep a proper lookout for any possible dangers.

After falling Ms Flynn said she saw a skid mark about a foot long on the ground which looked like a cream or grease like substance.

Mr Justice Anthony Barr was advised that the woman was embarrassed and suffering a lot of pain in the immediate aftermath of the incident. This was even worsened due to the fact that already experiences a arthritic condition and was at the time in the middle of a rehabilitation programme for rheumatoid arthritis.

Rather than meet up with friends for a pre-arranged lunch, she this and got a taxi home and phoned the Marks & Spencer store and told them what had happened at the Mary St store.

She said she got married a later that year but had been unable to keep up a gym exercise plan, devised for the run up to the wedding, due to the injuries that she suffered.

The case was settled on day two of the hearing.